Common Core Connections - Grades 9 - 10
Key Ideas and Details
- Cite strong and thorough textual evidence to support analysis of whta the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
- Determine a theme or central idea of a text and analyze in detail its development over the course of the text, including how it emerges and is shaped and refined by specific details; provide an objective summary of the text.
- Analyze how complex characters (e.g. those with multiple or conflicting motivations) develop over the course of the text, interact with other characters, and advance the plot or develop the theme.
Craft and Structure
- Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in the text, including figurative and connotative meanings; analyze the cumulative impact of specific word choices on meaning and tone 9e.g. how the language evokes a sense of time and place; how it sets a formal or informal tone).
- Analyze how an author's choices concerning how to structure a text, order events withing it (e.g. parallel plots), and manipulate time (e.g. pacing, flashbacks) create such effects as mystery, tension, or surprise.
Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
- Analyze the representation of a subject or key scene in two different artistic mediums, including what is emphasized or absent in each treatment.
- Analyze how an author draws on and transforms source material in a specific work.
Responding to Literature
- Interpret, analyze and evaluate narratives, poetry, and drama, aesthetically and ethically by makeing connections to : other texts, ideas, culturala perspectives, eras, personal events and situations.